Home: Scribblings

Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Firebirds Are Coming

One of these days I'm going to give y'all a poem I wrote that isn't about a poor kingdom/village being destroyed  or about tears and broken love. Maybe sometime I'll actually give you something that ends happy. :D
But here I am, giving you one more poem about ashes, flames and battle cries. I hope you enjoy it. :)



The Firebirds Are Coming

When I tilted my head to the sky
It was blood red crimson
The trees thrashed about like drumming
Which meant one thing:
The Firebirds were coming

As screams and shouts filled the air
Fire blasts lit the skies
All around the ground shook, humming
There rose up a cry:
“The Firebirds are coming!”

The sun grew dark and the sky came low
Shrieks of fury simmered the air
As their wings beat up the wind to a numbing
I knew one thing only:
The Firebirds were coming






Swords were thrust high and shields raised,
By endless fires blackened
We could hear their wings, thrumming, thrumming
Dipping low, screeching high
I saw the Firebirds coming


Rank on rank, like flaming gold
They poured across the sky
Our heartbeats slowed, like harpist’s strumming
Time slowed as it always did
When the Firebirds were coming.


Like ripened wheat we fell, our tents burning
The lava raining down
Trees crashed, as their wingbeats thrumming
Sent shivers through the ground
The Firebirds were coming.


When I looked down from the blood red sky
I saw only smoldering ashes
I could hear the trees thrash, drumming, drumming
My tears now flames
I saw the Firebirds coming


Hefting up a heavy, ruined sword
I glared defiantly at the burning skies
My village now dead, the ground now humming
I let loose one last cry
Then the Firebirds were coming.

This last week, I've been writing my book like crazy (10 chapters, around 70 pages). It felt so good to get a lot of work done after being in the dregs of my writers block. But after days and days of nothing but endless hours sitting in front of the computer screen, writing and writing, I was starting to see words in front of my vision when I looked away from the computer. :P Finally, I just tried to take a break--listen to music, clean, make a smoothie.
What do y'all do when you just need to take a breather from writing? I seriously need some suggestions.

~The Scribbler in the Attic

4 comments:

  1. I loved it! Brilliant! :)

    Hannah Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a dramatic person.... but an awesome person! :D miss you, Willa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You. Seriously. You are an *amazing* writer.
    Just, wow. Wowowowowow. I loved this poem so much!
    And when I need a break from writing, I usually try to take a walk or take pictures or read. Honestly, sometimes just listening to music and staring out a window, watching life continue, helps.
    <3
    Bekah Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful poem Willa!! I love it!
    Whenever I need a break from writing, I normally just.... take a break. :) Read something, watch something, set it aside for a while, that kind of stuff. There's not really one single thing that I do. :)

    ReplyDelete