Home: Scribblings

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Writer's Wednesday || Another Book Review!!!

I didn't have anything to post this week, so I thought I'd just put up another book review I wrote up some time ago. I had hoped to write up and post some thoughts about writing, but since I can only type with one hand at the moment... (don't ask, just...don't ask) it kind of makes typing at great lengths out of question.

Rules for Murder by Julianne Deering

Premise: Drew Farthering, Lord of Farthering Estate, lived a quiet life until the night of the party. The night murder struck. When events tumble him and his two best friends into the batter of an unsolvable plot, he finds himself investiagting every clue, going over every detail to find the murderer--before he can strike again, and even closer to home this time. Set in the romantic backdrop of 1930's England, this mystery novel takes you behind the scenes of a rich country estate and the plans of a murderer.

Language: None

Stars: 4

I got a LOT of books for Christmas, and out of all of them, this is the first one I picked to read. I was dying for a murder mystery, and this definitely satisified me. It was funny and charming, but very realistic in it's portrayel of the characters as they dealt with the murder of their own family members. It was a bit slow for my taste, and some of the clues were obvious, and it took Drew longer to figure them out than it should have. It picks up about 2-3rd's of the way through the book. I usually can't stand slow reads, but this was actually more enjoyable reading it at a more leisurely pace.

What I was happiest about, was that it had a Christian theme throughout, but it didn't push it. The main plot was the murder, the second the romance, and the third coming to Christ. I enjoyed her simplicity in dealing with a Christian message and not going deep into any one theology. There was good, honest redemption at the end that leaves you with a good feeling, but not like you had been preached to.

As far as murder plots go, this is one of the most hard to figure out. I found myself going one way one minute, and swinging over to the other side the next. Honestly, you had no idea who or what it would turn out to be by the end.

The romance was a little on the cheesy-too-easy side, but I still very much enjoyed it. Some of the banter was stupid, but then some of it was laugh-out-loud hysterical.  I especially enjoyed the character Nick, Drew's best friend and son of the butler. He provides the best comic relief, and makes a good side-kick.

Age-Range: 13+, only because, while this is a Christian novel, there is plenty of implied adult-content. Nothing is gone into detail, and it's handled in a completely appropriate way, but still, for younger kids, I wouldn't recommend it simply because they wouldn't understand. Plus, much of the main story is a romance, so that would probably be ill-suited for younger kids tastes who like action more than dialogue.


Conclusion, if you're looking for a good, hard mystery novel, pick this up.  I enjoyed it immensely, and I'm sure you will too. 

Any recommendations for some good, solid mystery novels? I've been sorely starved of them for too long.

Bookishly, 
~The Reader in the Attic

4 comments:

  1. The one with a V and the beginning of the endFebruary 3, 2014 at 1:31 PM

    Now your going to have to tell me what happened to your hand! Why didn't I hear about this yesterday?! :p I know. I know. You said not to ask... BUT! because we're friends, thats what we do to each other. Right? :D


    M 'n m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, nothing happened to my hand. It was just unavailable, as the elbow on that arm was hooked up to an IV. :) Nothin' serious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Willa,
    I have awarded you at my blog. Love your blog!!
    http://myeyesasateen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could check out the Brother Cadfael mystery series by Ellis Peters.

    ReplyDelete