Alright, readers--I need help again.
If you were a bad guy and could live in any time and place on earth, where would you live?
Please comment and help me out! I seriously need an awesome place to put my antagonist's evil lair.
But now, for the next installment of This Name and Moment...
- Part 4 -
The Cell
If the lights didn't blind Sean,
Clarity's shoes would.
He woke to blaring florescent bulbs
and neon orange. It felt as if a small explosion had gone off inside his head.
Slowly, very slowly, his vision cleared and focused.
He was lying on his side on a dusty tile
floor. Clarity's neon orange converse shoes were inches from his nose. Exhaling,
he sat up. Beside him, Clarity was still passed out, her head at his feet. Sean
shook her. She moaned and slapped at him.
"Clarity, get up. We were
abducted."
She covered her face with her hands, groaning,
"Thank you, Captain Obvious."
Sean took in their prison. It was a
small room, maybe ten feet wide by ten feet long. There were no windows and
only one door. Hopelessly, he tried it, but as he expected, it was locked. Sean
put his ear to the crack between it and the frame. There were no voices. No
sounds at all. Nothing to tell them where they were.
"So this is why they never come
home…" said Clarity quietly, sitting with her back to the wall.
"What?"
Clarity shook her head, hugging
herself, "In my world, Aerathyst, the government has been funding research
and experiments with ley lines. The portals are invisible and unpredictable.
The scientists don't know how to control them, only how to make them happen.
And people have been disappearing, sucked up or whatever by the stupid lines. Like,
a lot of people. And now I know why they never make it back…"
Sean let this new information sink
in. He wasn't sure he believed in other worlds or ley lines, but he had read
enough on the subject not to completely discredit it. And all this happening,
his Moment being when he found Clarity, who also happened to be his Name. It
had to mean something.
"Alright, just for the moment,
say I believe you," said Sean, "You think we were abducted because
somehow the people in your world knew you came through one? Why would they
abduct one of their own? Why not help them get home?"
"All I know is that in the forty
years the experiments have been going on, not one missing person has ever
returned." Clarity closed her eyes, "I can't believe this is
happening. I had a concert tonight."
"You were just thrown into
another world, drugged, and kidnapped and you're concerned about a
concert?" Sean asked incredulously.
"Yeah, buddy, 'cause I happen to be the one performing,"
growled Clarity, "Aerathyst's number one rock star doesn't show up for her
final tour debut, people are going to notice."
Sean coughed, "Number…one…rock star?"
Clarity rolled her eyes, "Yes. Is that so hard to believe?"
Sean surveyed the room again, "We've
got to get out of here."
"And how do you suggest
that?"
"Do you have a hairpin?"
"No," Clarity snorted,
"What were you going to do? Pick the lock?"
"We have to do something!"
snapped Sean, kicking the door. The only good it did was to give him a
throbbing foot.
Clarity pulled something out of her
pocket as she stood. It was a black cellphone. She held it above her head,
walking around the cell. "I can't get a signal!"
"Hold onto it. We might be able
to use it later."
Clarity slipped it back in her jeans,
"What else am I going to do, Genius? It's not like there's a trashcan in
here."
If all girls were this fiery, Sean
was suddenly thankful they had avoided him his entire life. His back to the
wall, he sat and buried his face in his hands.
Clarity sighed, sliding down next to
him, "Listen, Sean, I'm sorry. I get snappy when I'm scared."
Sean watched the lights flicker on
the ceiling. "Are you really from another dimension?" he finally
asked.
"Yeah," Clarity answered
heavily, "…what did you mean earlier, about me being your name and moment
or whatever?"
Sean's eyebrows arched, "Don't
you have a Moment?"
"No… A Name. But--wait--what do
you mean a 'moment'?"
Sean's heart skipped a beat. "A
Name?"
"Yes, a Name--but what did you
mean by 'moment'?" she repeated.
"I mean an actual moment. Like a
date and time in your head."
"You're born with it?"
"Yeah."
It was Clarity's turn to raise her
eyebrows, "We're born with Names in Aerethyst. Actually… you're my Name.
Sean."
Sean sat up straight, "Really?
Because…well, people here on Dyterra are only born with a Moment. But I have a
Moment and a Name. The Name is yours
and the Moment was when I stumbled over you."
Clarity rubbed her leg, "I still
have a bruise from where you tripped over me. But… If you're from here, how is
it you've got both?"
Sean shrugged, "No idea. Those
are the only things I remembered after I woke up." Sean saw the question
in Clarity's eyes and explained, "I... sort of, well, you could say I'm
sort of an amnesiac. I woke up under a park bench one day, dried blood on my
head, no memory of who I was or how I got there. I couldn't even remember my
own age. Nine, maybe. Some nice people saw me wandering around and helped me
get to a hospital. They said I had taken a severe blow to the head, which most
likely caused my memory loss. Then Child Services came and put me in an
orphanage. I've been there for four years now."
Clarity fidgeted with her hands, eyes
lowered, "I'm sorry."
Sean shrugged again, "It's kinda
nice. If I can't remember my family then I can't miss them, right?" Except
that was the exact opposite of how Sean felt. He would give anything to have
his memories back, to remember the life he had before, to find the people he
loved before… Yet for all his genuis, he had no way to bring back what he had
lost. And what were the chances he even still had family if they hadn't found
him by now?
Clarity stiffened, frowning, "Do
you hear that?"
"Hear what?"
"Shh!" she crawled over to
the crack between the door and the frame and pressed her ear against it.
"It's coming from out there."
Sean rolled to his knees, crouching
to put his ear above Clarity's. He recognized one of the voices outside.
"--Destiny, get me in touch with
Freyja immediately. And order me something with caffeine. It's going to be a long night."
Dr. Stalling.
There came another man's voice. It
was the big man with the briefcase. "Are you certain-"
"Yes, John. This one is most
definitely Ragnarok."
" Don't you think you should
make absolutely certain-"
"I am. I've run every possible test there is. The DNA was a
match…"
The voices faded with their footsteps
away from the cell.
Sean's stomach had disintegrated. He
rocked back on his knees. Clarity pushed off the ground and stood up. They shared a long glance.
Who was Freyja? What was Ragnarok?
Did it have something to do with why they were kidnapped?
"What on Aereythyst was that
about?" whispered Clarity.
They both jumped as the deadbolt on
the door slid with a metallic squeal. The handle turned. As the door opened,
the man who had drugged them in the elevator, John, stepped inside.
"Good, you're awake. Stalling
has some questions for you."
~The Scribbler in the Attic
~The Scribbler in the Attic

This story is getting so exciting!! Wow! This is very well written. I really enjoy reading it!
ReplyDeleteDo you need a name of a city in the world for the evil lair or a generic place, like an underground cave or something?
~Sarah
cutecombinations.blogspot.com
Nope. Not a specific name. Just a place. Scene, I guess. Like a high-tech mansion or a medieval castle or a cave beneath Egypt. :) Thanks!
DeleteLove this story!!!!!!! keep it up!!
ReplyDeletehmmmmmmmmmmm....... Well I thought of something like....
A extremely high-tech, Iron clad structure under the English Canal
and goes from on country to the other. Set in the far future. (if you are looking for something kinda Fantasy based)
or
An great, big, base, with average tech (the bad guys are just super smart)
set deep in the face of George Washington at Mt Rushmore. Set now in the near future.
(if you want a more realistic ((although serious genius work)) setting)
Well gotta.
hope it was helpful!!!!
Leah
Man this whole moment and name business sounds very intriguing. Realistically...it seems a lot of criminals go to Mexico. Depends on the type of crime though, I guess. But Mexico - easy to sneak across the boarder into other places and then sneak back out again to avoid the authorities here and there and going to places where they probably can't touch you legally if you play your cards right.
ReplyDelete