Monday, August 3, 2015
The Writing Lifestyle
I've found myself realizing more and more lately that I don't think like a normal person anymore.
Writing has started shaping my entire life. It's been heading that direction since I was as young as ten, but I guess I didn't know it until now. Everything I do in my day-to-day lifestyle revolves around my writing.
I'm not thinking ahead to college because all I picture myself doing in a few years is writing. How I get through doing schoolwork is thinking about how I can use this knowledge for my writing. Every morning I wake up, I wonder how much writing I'm going to get done. When my mom asks me what I'm going to do today, I have to stop and think of something besides writing I had been planning to do. It's actually a little scary to think about how unconsciously writing controls my life. I don't even really have the normal "teenage girl" thoughts of something like who I'm going to marry or what kind of house I want to live in when I get older. All I can think is, Oh, look, it's a new day. Guess I'm gonna write.
Is this unhealthy? It's either passion or a mental disorder. Probably both. Do you guys ever feel this way?
Everything around me is fuel for the writing fire. Literally almost every thought that crosses my mind about something usually turns into "how can I use this in a story?" Recently, I was playing soccer with some friends, and accidentally got a black eye from someone's elbow in the wrong place at the wrong time. And, seriously, I was kind of happy, because now I knew how to describe the pain of being hit extremely hard in the face. Great, right?
But something I have to remind myself every single day so I don't get sidetracked is to follow up the question of "How can I use this in my story?" with "And how will this glorify God?"
I want that question to fuel me with as much passion as my writing. And it's hard. Because I've become so ingrained with the writing mindset, it's hard to fit anything else into my head with it. But it's a very necessary thought. It's an important thought. It is THE most important thought, actually.
As I've realized how much my life revolves around my writing, I've realized how much more I need it to revolve around that question. How can I glorify God? Because that has to come before everything else. And more than anything it has to come before my writing.
I'm not sure where this post was heading. Hopefully my ramblings made at least a little sense.
How has writing shaped your life? Do you ever have to take a step back and reevaluate?
Colossians 3:23 "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men."
Have a lovely day!
~The Scribbler in the Attic
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Being so passionate about writing and having the ability to transfer what's in your mind onto paper must be a wonderful gift. I might have the desire to write, and seamingly endless ideas, but only when I get into a rare "writing mood" does what I'm trying to say come out right. And, of course, time is another essential that can sometimes be hard to find when you're second oldest of eleven siblings.
ReplyDeleteBut I know exactly what you mean about thinking of ways to put everything into a story. I have stacks and stacks of paper with quickly jotted down ideas based on real experiences, most of which would look and sound like gibberish if somebody besides myself tried to read it. Isn't it so delightful, though, when you're able to incorporate real life experiences into fictional stories?
Thanks so much for the reminder that we're here to glorify God in anything and everything we do. Like you said, it's easy to forget, especially when things in life don't seem to be working out.
Have a great day!
~Lauren
Hi Willa - my name is Megan - My good friend Kira Bianchi recommended your blog and I've been reading it for a few months now. I am totally impressed with your gifted writing! I really wish I could write like you and Kira! I've heard so much about you! Anyways, I've nominated you for the Infinity Dreams Award! You can check it out on my blog at: http://farmgirlinmontana.blogspot.com/2015/08/ive-been-nominated-by-concealed.html
ReplyDeleteHey! Kira has told me about you too! Thank you for awarding me. Your blog looks so cool! I didn't know you had one, so I'm really glad I do now! :)
Delete